It is common for many people to develop a sedentary lifestyle in today’s busy computer-oriented work & home environments. Sitting all day is very hard on your body and often causes soreness, pain in your neck, stiffness, back pain and chronic headaches — plus such an unenergetic lifestyle causes fatigue, making you feel like you’re always tired! Your body was made to move, so when it doesn’t get regular activities, you can experience mood issues, sluggishness, tiredness, restless sleep and weight gain.
Regular movement can help balance your hormones, improve the way your body uses insulin and can greatly help you sleep. Better sleep means better energy! Each of these things are important for fighting fatigue. Movement does wonders for the body by releasing endorphins, boosting your stamina and lifting your mood.
How to Get Moving:
- Try a standing desk or one that adjusts for standing and sitting.
- Sit on a balance disc or a large exercise ball. It keeps your back straighter and engages your core without putting as much strain on your hips and legs.
- Take “walk” breaks. Walk around your building, office area or parking lot for 15 minute blocks at a time.
- Plan regular outdoor activities or exercise right before or after work.
- Take 5-minute stretch breaks for every hour of work, a great time to do your YWTL’s!